Tomato sauce is a versatile food ingredient that you can add in many dishes, from Spanish rice to pizza and pasta, and while you can buy them at your local supermarket, you’ll find that it’s much better if you make them yourself.
Not only are the ingredients cheap and easy to find fresh at your local market, but it’s also something you can easily make in large quantities during your free time, which means you’ll have plenty to go around the next time you want to impress your friends.
Here’s how you can make it:
To make the perfect tomato sauce for any dish (whether it’s pasta or pizza), you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Tomatoes (5 pounds, or roughly 2 kilos)
- Salt (3/4teaspoon)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Tomato paste (1 tablespoon)
- Garlic (1 clove, halved)
- Basil (1 sprig, chopped)
- Bay leaf (1 leaf)
While this may seem like a lot of tomatoes at first, there’s no need to worry since they will break down as you prepare them later on.
There are a few steps that you need to follow when making tomato sauce:
1. Prepare the tomatoes by cutting them in half horizontally and squeezing out the seeds. Grate out the tomato pulp into a bowl and be sure to discard the skins when doing so. This should result in about four cups of tomato pulp.
2. Place the tomato pulp in a wide saucepan and bring to high heat. Wait until the pulp has partially dissolved before adding in the other ingredients, starting with salt and olive oil, and then working your way up to the single bay leaf.
3. Let the flavors mix and get to know each other by stirring the saucepan. Allow the sauce to bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to a gentle simmer.
4. Stir occasionally as the sauce is reduced to nearly half its original volume. Once done, it should yield roughly two and a half cups of sauce that’s medium thick. Add seasoning to taste.
Be sure to let the sauce rest for about thirty minutes or until it reaches room temperature. Once done, pour into a suitable container with a lid (mason jars are a good example) and store in the fridge.
Homemade tomato sauce can last for up to five days in the refrigerator, but they can also be stored in the freezer to keep for a longer time.
You can use tomatoes of any variety when preparing this kind of sauce as long as they are both fresh and ripe. You can also experiment on the flavor by using different tomato varieties that complement each other.